Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A good old sewing machine

I cleaned my sewing machine and dripped oil in all the little spots. I have a Dressmaker sewing machine that I got at a yard sale about 30 to 35 years ago for $20. (Where does all the years go?)  I can't recall the last time I cleaned and oiled my machine, but it was way overdo.  It gets used a lot, especially this time of year.


The red symbols on the front is pictures of different stitches, and each one has a number next to it.  The number matches a number on a plastic gadget (cam?).  To make that kind of stitch I open the top of the sewing machine and insert the plastic gadget, close the top of the machine, adjust the needle, and slowly stitch along.
A lot of bother to go through for something I enjoy doing by hand. So those "cam" things are still like bran new cause I never use them. The body of the machine shows a lot of dings and small scratches from years and years of lots of use. It still runs good, and still gets lots of use.  My kids, all grown with families now, learned to sew on this machine. I have made costumes for civil war enactments on it. I made prom dresses with it of fine satin. And even made a heavy canvas tee pee lining on it.  Over the years it has handled anything I have slid (shoved, crammed, jammed, stuffed,) under the needle, and still does.
It was probably the best $20 I ever spent.

Thanks for dropping by.
Smiles to you.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment